Getting a functional roof over tiny house was one of the steps I was quite nervous about with tiny house. The plans were for an a-frame roof, but I wasn’t going to follow those. When I was making a decision as to whether or not I wanted to build a tiny house, Myron and I stayed in one overnight in Olympia to try it out and see what we thought. One of the very few things that bothered me was the shape of the roof. It looked nice, but I move around so much in my sleep that I kept hitting myself on the sides and it became pretty annoying. A gambrel roof, or barn-shaped roof, seemed much more space efficient. Even though they are more complicated to construct, I think the extra sleeping and storage room will be well worth the effort.
A friend helped Myron and I redesign the rafters and then I got to work! Nervousness aside, I was also very excited about the prospect of getting a roof over our heads…and to hopefully soon get rid of the plastic coverings that require constant fussing. In these pictures you can get a good idea of what it looked like at that point. It looked warm, pretty and glowy, but you can see how bunchy and awkward everything was.
Most of the trouble came with the windstorms that would tear the plastic top off periodically. It was ready to be done stressing out about the wind patterns at tiny house and get my roof on!
Here is the first rafter piece that I cut!
Wahoo! And very soon after, I had a whole rafter’s wood all ready for assembly!
After the rafter-cutting fiesta, I spent some time making angle supports from plywood sheathing to attach to the connection points and keep the rafters from shifting.
Myron and I timed it so that he would be in town to give me a hand with attaching the rafters to the top plate. Definitely a two-person job!
Then came a slew of brackets EVERYWHERE I COULD FIT THEM. Because of the limited space and weird angles, this part was a little time consuming- but what a fabulously strong roof!
Next came the sheathing. I am not thrilled about sheathing, but I surprised myself with how much I was capable of doing on my own. I actually didn’t think i’d be able to pull it off by myself, but I went and tried anyway. Using my legs as braces and my body weight pulling back, I was able to hold the plywoods in place while I hammered them into place. They were heavy. It took just about all the strength I had, but I was able to pull off about all but 2 pieces! I had a superhero woman moment! I felt like this kid looks like she feels. It was a moment of glory.
This plywood also brought some amusement to me as I was busy wrestling with the sheathing. It looks like it’s covered in a million little owls! Now I know that somewhere above my head are a bunch of these little guys all sandwiched somewhere between my shakes and my interior walls. Oh, the joy of knowing little secrets about your little house!